Part of the excitement of bringing Gecko back is for people to collect their favorite shirts, styles, and designs from the 80s and 90s -- so in order to bring items back from the "Gecko Vault" many styles are only back for a limited time. This is one of the reasons that we sell out so quickly!
Last Chance items are items that have almost totally sold out and there are only a few sizes left in stock. If you're favorite design is in this collection and happens to be in your size... GRAB IT WHILE YOU CAN!
3 DIFFERENT SHIRTS TOTAL IN THE COLLECTION RELEASE!
GeckoHYPERFLASH is a homage and retro flashback to the magical "thermochromatic" color-changing apparel of the early 1990's.
Gecko Hawaii HYPERFLASH shirts are heat activated and change color around 80 degrees, which gives it a super rare, "living, breathing, tie dye" feeling. Think of it as "the mood ring" of t-shirts -- but WAAAAAY cooler!
Thermochromatic technology has improved dramatically since the 1990's, but most apparel companies don't make it, because they are afraid to take risks, and it is REALLY expensive to make. However, our fans kept asking since our relaunch, so we made it happen for this SUPER LIMITED collection!
1. Gecko HYPERFLASH - Color Changing T-Shirt
2. Time Tunnel - "Double Puffed Ink" Design
In order to treat the shirt with Thermochromatic pigment technology, the shirts go through a special washing process. They are accurate in sizing, but slightly -- just a tad -- smaller than our usual shirts. If you are between sizes (in the tummy), we recommend going up a size.
SURPRISE RELEASE DATE: 10/29/20
1. To be notified of limited releases & contests please sign up (for free) on our mailing list.
2. To be notified about Surprise Gecko X VAULT EXCLUSIVE & Limited Releases, purchase $100 of Gecko products (over the course of a year).
Gecko Surfari Black Tee (Adults) V2: DOUBLE PUFFED INK!
11 in stock
Gecko Surfari Black Tee
Classic Front Pocket Logo and Surfari Logo Back Printed Tee.
100% Combed Ringspun Cotton. Soft AF!
ABOUT GECKO SURFARI - BLACK, DOUBLE PUFFED-INK
Gecko Surfari is a design that we used early on in our relaunch and it sold out in every color and release that we had. We only re-released Gecko Surfari this time, because it's such an iconic design from the 80s, that we wanted to use it while printing our rare, limited edition, color-changing HYPERFLASH shirts --but the design looked soooooooo good(better than it ever had before, now that our retro printing system is all tuned up and humming, like it was way back when) that we thought we'd make the nostalgic Gecko Fan's happy with this short sleeve one-off.
WHY THIS PUFFED-INK SHIRT OOZES WITH NOSTALGIA LIKE NON-OTHER
This shirt is "DOUBLE puffed" for the first time ever, which gives it a distinct quality that I personally haven't seen or experienced since 1985, when I was 6 years old --- it is saturated with nostalgia.
When I first saw this new "puffed" reprint of Gecko Safari that Team Gecko assembled -- this sounds crazy -- but I honestly almost started to cry of happiness, because I was struck with memories that I didn't even know I had from long ago. I was blown away!
Specifically there are 2 details about this shirt that personally struck me. The first was the detail in the color on the title "Gecko Safari." The color we used is an accidental corral color -- we didn't do it on purpose, and may not be able to reproduce it again -- the paint just hadn't totally mixed yet -- so, it was a happy accident and it's a rare color that I used to love, but don't see much of on shirts anymore.
The second detail is the depth of the ink around the Gecko's sunglasses. It is so unique and I literally had a flashback to 1st grade! I remembered having shirts with graphics that were so puffed, I would just sit at my desk and stare at the shirt all day and poke at the "3-Dimension" quality, stretching and squishing the ink, wondering "How did they do that?" It brought up all sorts of happy memories about mom and that time of my life that I thought I had forgotten about. If I was to have known that flash forward 34 years,I'd be working with the ORIGINAL Gecko Hawaii crew, it would have blown my mind!
THE MOST AUTHENTIC 1980s SHIRT MADE IN 2020:
CREATING 27 LAYERS OF DETAILED, QUALITY, RETRO, PUFFED INK, COLOR & DIMENSION
To go deeper into the quality of how this shirt was produced -- we used what we call "The Monster." It's a huge screen printing machine that has over 18 stations. THIS VERSION OF GECKO SURFARI USED 12 STATIONS! Each station layers another layer of ink and is "flashed" -- a process that used high density light to dry each layer in seconds. Nobody does this anymore for several reasons:
1. These machines are expensive.
2. People generally print using a printer and print on demand.
3. Even if a company had one of these machines, they generally don't have hand-drawn artwork that requires so much detail. Plus 12 layers of puffed ink can get EXTREMELY expensive, because it uses a lot of electricity, ink, and takes a couple of people to prep it.
HOW TO PERSONALIZE YOUR PUFFED INK SHIRT TO MAKE IT LOOK VINTAGE
1. This shirt is "Pigment Dyed." Pigment dyed shirts have a unique quality as they are extra colorful and bright to start, but the more you wear them and wash them, the more they begin to fade. If you wear it a lot first before washing it, the fade will happen in the areas you naturally engage with the most. If you wash it after one wear, the fade begins to happen along the stitching of the shirt.
2. These shirts are 100% cotton, so they shrink just a very tiny bit. That causes the ink to move with the fabric... but the ink doesn't shrink, so that is when the puff can raise even higher, or can be "pulled and stretched" and start to crack. The more you crack it, the puffed ink can begin fall and break off, giving it that super vintage look and feel -- the kind that "digitally printed" shirts try to duplicate, but looks super fake vintage.
3. That being said, Gecko Hawaii uses the top of the line inks, so these shirts won't crack for along time unless you pull and stretch them, or wash them over and over again 10 times in a row after each wear.
What you're left with is probably one of the most authentic mid 1980s puffed-ink reproductions on the market, using an iconic hand drawn design from the 80s, printed with the same machines from the 80s, by the same team from the 80s!
THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT FROM SHIRTS IN THE 1980s IS THAT IT WAS PRINTED IN DECEMBER 2020!